Brzeg, Brzeg Town Hall

You can add images!
Assigned persons:
Date from:
Rynek 1, 49-306 Brzeg, Poland
Political territory:
Województwo opolskie, powiat brzeski
National heritage site, Town hall / City hall

Brzeg Town Hall is a Renaissance building designed by Bernard Niuron built from 1569 to 1577. It is considered to be one of the most important Renaissance monuments in Poland. In addition to its role as the seat of the municipal government of Brzeg, the building houses several other institutions.


The first building housing the municipal government in Brzeg already existed in the fourteenth century but was burned down in the town's great fire during the reign of George II of Brieg. The current town hall was built between 1569 and 1577. It was designed by the Italian architect Bernardo Niuron, assisted by the Italian builder Jakub Parr. In later years, the building underwent minor alterations in some of its rooms which were adapted for administrative purposes. In 1926, a Renaissance gate, from one of the Brzeg townhouses, was added to the south facade. The Voivodeship Conservation Orders of 25 November 1949 and 10 January 1964 led to the town hall being listed as a heritage monument.


The town hall is a Renaissance structure built on a square around an inner courtyard of townhouses. It has two storeys and a saddle roof. The most interesting part of the building is its west side. In the corner there are two quadrangular towers with tented roofs and roof lanterns. Between them spans a five-axis loggia, with semicircular arches on the ground floor. Over the loggia there is another level with windows which are separated by a cornice from the mansard roof. Fragments of the facade are covered with sgraffito decoration from the seventeenth century. There is a four-sided central tower with an octagonal cupola topped with a balustrade and two roof lanterns. The interiors have been preserved with halls and corridors of the original design, most notably the Hall of Councillors with its wall paintings and fine ceiling. The Stropowa Hall has a larch ceiling from 1646. Currently, the town hall is the seat of the city and several other institutions.

Obiekt zabytkowy Reg №. 78 - 25.11.1949 and 699/64 - 10.01.1964


Sources: wikipedia.org


No events

Pievienot notikumu

Assigned persons

No persons assigned

Pievienot personu